Snownews should run on a 486 or equivalent CPU. Faster is better, though. XML parsing is quite CPU intensive. The program requires about 2MB RAM depending on the number of your feeds.
- Ncurses library version 5.0 or later.
- gettext if you want localizations.
- An iconv library (GNU libiconv for example) that handles UTF-8.
- Binary packages are statically linked and don't require any external libraries.
Source packages should compile without problems by doing the usual "./configure; make; make install" thing. I successfully compiled the program and various Linux installations, OpenBSD and Mac OS X.
If you don't want to dive into the adventure of compiling programs yourself, you can use the precompiled version if you're using Linux. Just run the included script "install.sh" and be done with it. Or you can use one of the packages done by other people for various systems.
If you encouter any problems please have a look at the FAQ. To report a bug in the program, please read the FAQ, section 4. And finally, if you like the program, please consider donating something. Have a look at my Donations page.
- Snownews 1.5.12 source tar.gz - (GPG signature)
- Older versions
- GPG key (NEW key) – older versions are signed with the old key.
Packages/ports are available for the following systems. Available in ports/package collections or from a link below.
- BeOS (bebits.com)
- Cygwin (cygwin-ports)
- Gentoo Linux
- Mac OS X - Macports
- Mac OS X - Homebrew
- NetBSD, *BSD (pkgsrc)
- RPMs (rpmfind.net)
- Solaris (solarisnews.de)