Snownews is a text mode RSS/RDF newsreader. It supports all versions of RSS natively and supports other formats via plugins.
The program depends on ncurses for the user interface and uses libxml2 for XML parsing. ncurses must be at least version 5.0. It should work with any version of libxml2.
- Runs on Linux, *BSD, OS X (Darwin), Solaris and probably many more Unices. Yes, even works under Cygwin.
- Fast and very resource friendly.
- Builtin HTTP client will follow server redirects and update feed URLs that point to permanent redirects (301) automatically.
- Snownews understands "Not-Modified" (304) server replies and handles gzip compression.
- Local cache for minimal network traffic.
- HTTP proxy support.
- HTTP authentication support (basic and digest methods).
- Optional, basic cookie support.
- A help menu available throughout the program.
- Automatic update checking (can be deactivated).
- Few dependencies on external libraries; ncurses and libxml2.
- Import feature for OPML subscription lists.
- Fully customizable key bindings of all program functions.
- Type Ahead Find for quick and easy navigation.
- Color support.
- Extensible via plugins.
- Feed categories and many other useful features!